Tucked away in the south-west corner of Switzerland is Whitepod, a luxury eco-camp high in the Valais region of the Swiss Alps. At 1420m, the camp is within striking distance of the Evian mountains, Villars ski resort and an abundance of local trails including a 700m private ski slope. As another classic example of what happens when an eco-concept meets archictectural ingenuity, Whitepod takes adventure travel to new levels of comfort.
Whitepod is made up of a collection of 15 eco-pods that blend futuristic and innovative design with the cosy comforts of your traditional chalet, ingredients that make for a surreal alpine experience. The pods are architecturally homologous to your standard igloo, the structural difference being that these pods will withstand winds up to 190 miles per hour thanks to a strong steel frame and durable canvas sheaths – the envy of any eskimo. Equipped with a thick duvet, washbasin, oil lamp and a wood burning stove, the eco-pods present a romantic version of adventure accommodation.
Whitepod is open throughout the year and serves as a great base for summer and winter activities. As well the 700m of private groomed piste, the winter season opens up a network of off-piste woodland trails to explore by foot or on snowshoes. The Alpage de Chindonne, at the top of the lift that services the private slope, has a collection of equipment that’s available for rent, including 10 sledges to complete the ultimate, crowd-free slalom experience.
In the summer the Dents du Midi mountain range is well worth exploring and if you’re feeling up for a challenge look to hop over the French/Swiss border to Morzine which lies to the west of Whitepod. If you’re able to bring bikes, head lakeside towards Geneva and skirt the southern shore for some Evian refreshment. Or else look to the east and work towards Verbier and the assortment of adventure events they hold there, most notably the Trail Verbier Saint-Bernard in July and Verbier Xtreme in March-time.
If the weather is off, or you’re feeling like a lazy day, stumble down to the Chalet des Cerniers where a restaurant and spa can be found – the final feather in the cap of this alternative, eco-chic resort.
- Rooms: 15 pods for 2, 1 refuge for up to 72
- Price: Pods from €234. Refuge from €47 pp for double, €20 pp for dorm bed.
- Fill out the online booking form or contact email@example.com
Getting there Responsibly
- From London follow greentraveller’s journey plan to Geneva from where Swiss Trains run a service every hour to nearby Aigle (approx. 1 hour 20 minutes).From Aigle catch the AOMC (bus) to Monthey then the Postal bus to Cerniers. The bus stop is 500m from the Chalet des Cerniers (Whitepod’s reception).
- Meals: Breakfast from €10. Half Board from €34. Full board from €50
- Address: Whitepod, Les Giettes, CH-1871
- Tel: +41 24 471 38 38,
- Green credentials: heated by wood stoves, pods are built on raised wooden platforms so there is no trace left over after removal, fresh water from a local source, uses as much local produce as possible.
- More about Whitepod’s green philosophy
- Check out nearby Monthey.